Geoff Wyvill - Department of Computer Science
Owheo 106 - 1:00 pm, Friday 10 October
- In 2012:
- The worlds ten top publishing companies had a total revenue of US$40 billion.
- Apple iTunes store revenue was US$12.9 billion
- Movie box office takings totalled US$34.7 billion. Top distributors get 10-15%
- Academic publishers seem to make around 35% profit on revenue.
- What exactly do these companies do to earn this?
- How did they come to control the authors and creators?
- Are copyright laws reasonable? And whom do they protect?
- Does the 'Music Industry' actually benefit musicians?
- Is it important to computer scientists?
- What are we going to do about it?
- "Upon what meat doth this our Caesar feed
- That he is grown so great?"